Discuss how we can hasten progress towards enlarging representation. There are two primary components to this: 1) educating others in order to gain the necessary public support; and, 2) ensuring implementation via a constitutional amendment or other legal means.
Forum rules
This forum is only for discussion related to achieving the vision of a much larger House. All other discussion will be moved or deleted. No incivility or partisan advocacy allowed.
Joneiric
First Name: Jon

Room for all sides of the political spectrum?

Post by Joneiric »

I joined this group because I believe that our representation in Congress is insufficient, and that reducing the size of each district by adding more representatives would be a valuable step for our government. However, I don't have a partisan ax to grind against either side. When we had Republican majorities in Congress I don't think we were any closer to increasing the number of representatives, so it strikes me as false to see conversations on here faulting the Democrats. I haven't studied every dialogue but the first couple of comments on the first couple of threads I saw were disappointing--the same old name-calling and impotent rage against one side or the other.

I was hoping to find a relatively non-partisan group that supports the concept that we'll all be better off if there are many more Democrats in Congress, as well as many more Republicans and some number of third-party and independent voices, each tied much closer to a real and manageable District. Is that not here?
Paul
First Name: Paul
Stance: Pro-Enlargement

Re: Room for all sides of the political spectrum?

Post by Paul »

Which specific tpoics are you referring to? I don't think I've made any statements in support of or against any ideology except for anarchy.
JEQuidam
First Name: Jeff
Stance: Pro-Enlargement

Re: Room for all sides of the political spectrum?

Post by JEQuidam »

Joneiric wrote: I don't have a partisan ax to grind against either side. When we had Republican majorities in Congress I don't think we were any closer to increasing the number of representatives, so it strikes me as false to see conversations on here faulting the Democrats.
I agree with all that. Who faulted the Democrats? I don't recall such a discussion.

You are correct that this is NOT a forum for partisan debates. Many other forums are available for that purpose.

I have not seen any comments that are "the same old name-calling against one side or the other", but you just joined a few hours ago. Maybe you should read the full thread as your initial impression was probably mistaken. Otherwise, please cite the thread to which you are referring.

Welcome to the forum!