Discussions that don't belong elsewhere in the forum, but hopefully are still somewhat relevant to TTO.
Forum rules
As elsewhere in the TTO forum, no harangues, scurrilities, chicanery or mongering is permitted. However, repartees and irreverence is tolerated as long as they are not fatuous. Those who fail to abide by these rules may be subject to objurgation.  
JEQuidam
First Name: Jeff
Stance: Pro-Enlargement

Poll: Only 44% Say Their Own Congressman Thinks Like They Do

Post by JEQuidam »

"Only 44% Say Their Own Congressman Thinks Like They Do" ideologically. (Rasmussen Poll)

Of course, that means that 56% of those surveyed feel that their representative is either more liberal or more conservative than they are.
TheTrucker
First Name: Mike

Re: Poll: Only 44% Say Their Own Congressman Thinks Like They Do

Post by TheTrucker »

JEQuidam wrote:"Only 44% Say Their Own Congressman Thinks Like They Do" ideologically. (Rasmussen Poll)

Of course, that means that 56% of those surveyed feel that their representative is either more liberal or more conservative than they are.
NOPE! It means that the people believe that the current representative is more representative of the lobby and the party than the people. It may be that a smaller number are concerned with ideology, but I am of the opinion that they feel the current system does not provide adequate support for their wants and needs regardless of the ideology. They know the system is broken but they are powerless to fix it and most do not have any idea how to do it. The current 'left wing lollipop" is "campaign finance reform"; a total waste of time and effort in that it has never worked though tried several times already. Rasmussen is used primarily by Republicans that want to discredit the Democrats. If the Republicans were in the majority in the congress this poll would probably never had been conducted by Rasmussen.
JEQuidam
First Name: Jeff

Re: Poll: Only 44% Say Their Own Congressman Thinks Like They Do

Post by JEQuidam »

TheTrucker wrote: Rasmussen is used primarily by Republicans that want to discredit the Democrats.
I try to use any poll results that seem credible, and I have found Rasmussen to be credible (or at least as credible as any other polls). But thanks for the conspiracy theory.

Interestingly, an independent analysis ranked Rasmussen #1 with respect to "Poll Accuracy in the 2008 Presidential Election". Gallup is #17.

I think it's helpful to utilize relevant poll results from any reputable pollster, but of course we have to be very cautious about poll results unless we fully understand how they worded the questions (and how they selected their interview subjects).