Discussions that don't belong elsewhere in the forum, but hopefully are still somewhat relevant to TTO.
Forum rules
As elsewhere in the TTO forum, no harangues, scurrilities, chicanery or mongering is permitted. However, repartees and irreverence is tolerated as long as they are not fatuous. Those who fail to abide by these rules may be subject to objurgation.  
Green_TZM
First Name: Marcia
Stance: Undecided

Bill of Rights for Voter Equality

Post by Green_TZM »

My suggestion is a Bill of Rights for Voter Equality

https://www.facebook.com/groups/152631684794770 We have written our voting rules, care to comment?

Whereas we the people are created equal, and
whereas we the people are endowed with certain inalienable rights, and
whereas we the people instituted a government to secure these rights, and
whereas we the people lay the foundation on such principles, and organize its power in such form, as to us shall seem most likely to effect the above objective, do require the following Bill of Rights for Voting Equality.

Each citizen of the United States at or exceeding the age of majority has the right to vote in any public election in the jurisdiction where he or she resides. That right shall not be denied or abridged by the United States, any State, agreement, person, or entity, nor as a penalty.

a) All citizens of the United States, residing in all states, shall have equal access, (the same requirements), to creating a political party and achieving a ballot line.
b) All candidates and parties shall have equal time constraints to qualify for ballot access.
c) All proofs will be received by a multi-partisan regulatory board, such as the Board of Elections.

The District constituting the seat of Government of the United States shall elect Senators and Representatives in the Congress in such number and such manner as it would be entitled if it were a State.

All citizen's must be able to verify that the vote has been counted accurately. All ballots must be counted by hand. All counting must be supervised and recorded.

The Number of Representatives shall not exceed one for every Thirty Thousand, but each State shall have at Least one Representative. Each state shall divide it's population by 30,000 to determine its number of representative seats.

The congress shall be seated in proportion. The proportion shall be as follows: Each Representative shall have the voting power equal to the amount of citizens that voted for them.

All citizens that desire to be candidates, shall register at their local Board of Elections. Once the deadline is reached the Board of Elections will divide equally the campaign tools for election purposes.

Elections shall be publicly funded. No private money may be used for a public office, or seat in the government. The cicitzen must have full confidence that no bribery or appearance of bribery is taking place

All citizens shall have equal early voting hours in which to cast their vote. sufficient voting places, materials, and personnel shall be provided to reduce the voting time to within an hour.

The Presidential election shall be counted by (score or approval) counting.
JEQuidam
First Name: Jeff
Stance: Pro-Enlargement

Re: Bill of Rights for Voter Equality

Post by JEQuidam »

Marcia, I moved this topic to start its own thread. As you know, some of those proposals I agree with, and some I do not. And some of the ones I agree with can probably be better implemented through legislation rather than a constitutional amendment. I don't want to get into specifics, other than to say TTO advocates that the maximum congressional district population size be set at 50,000, as was intended by Article the first of the Bill of Rights. However, I would be happy with a maximum size of 30,000 as well!

Because these are single-member districts, making them smaller would obviate the need for proposal #6 (regarding the congress being "seated in proportion"). If the maximum district size was set at 50,000 (or less) then mathematically all the districts would be the same size. They already have to be the same size intrastate, but since there are so few Reps (435) it is mathematically impossible to make them equally sized from state to state. That is why we now have such an egregious violation of one person, one vote. If we had equally-sized districts nationwide, each of the Reps would then represent the same number of people, therefore the same proportion, thereby eliminating the need for #6.

Jeff