I propose that Article the First be recalled and that the following be proposed as a Constitutional Amendment in its place (it is effectively identical to the original House version of Article the First for populations up to 15,000,000, but as the same pattern is extended the total number of possible tiers is limited only by the capacity of the planet):
After each of the decennial censuses required by the Constitution, all of the following steps will be carried out:
- Determine the sum of the populations of all of the states.
- Divide the sum calculated in Step 1 by one million.
- To the quotient calculated in Step 2, add one.
- Calculate the square root of the sum calculated in Step 3.
- Round up the result from Step 4 to the nearest whole number.
- To the whole number acquired in Step 5, add one.
- Multiply the sum calculated in Step 6 by ten thousand.
- Divide the sum calculated in Step 1 by the product calculated in Step 7.
- Round up the result from Step 8 to the nearest whole number.
- Subtract two from the whole number acquired in Step 5.
- Multiply the difference calculated in Step 10 by one hundred.
- The total number of voting members in the House of Representatives shall be the greater of the numbers acquired in Steps 9 and 11, and those Representatives shall be apportioned among the several states according to the ratio of each state's total population to the sum calculated in Step 1.