Discussions that don't belong elsewhere in the forum, but hopefully are still somewhat relevant to TTO.
Forum rules
As elsewhere in the TTO forum, no harangues, scurrilities, chicanery or mongering is permitted. However, repartees and irreverence is tolerated as long as they are not fatuous. Those who fail to abide by these rules may be subject to objurgation.  
Epicurus
First Name: Sam
Stance: Pro-Enlargement

How depressing

Post by Epicurus »

This is a great website. It's depressing how few people have seen it or participate on it.
fkalich
First Name: Frank

Re: How depressing

Post by fkalich »

I became aware of this issue awhile back, after reading the Ascent of George Washington by Ferling. I believe that no single governmental tradition is more detrimental to the welfare of the public, and it is a tradition that could be easily corrected as no Constitutional Amendment would be required. I would posit that much of the problem is that congressmen like most people are primarily self interested, and have never been in favor of any change that would make their own career position less important. And the general public is pretty clueless, especially today as people pretty much spend most of their free waking time in fantasy land entertainment that is spoon fed to them (including what is called "the news"). The majority are much more concerned with how the obscenely paid mercenary athletes that have their city name sewn onto their shirt are doing, than how they are being exploited by a congress that is in the pocket of big money, as required to get elected in such large districts. I expect that it will take some very popular and influential (and dedicated) individuals getting behind this to convince the public of the importance of this, and nobody like that exists on the planet as far as I can see at the present moment.
Epicurus

Post by Epicurus »

much of the problem is that congressmen like most people are primarily self interested, and have never been in favor of any change that would make their own career position less important.
Absolutely. From what I have seen, most congresspeople are narcissistic sociopaths who run in order to feather their own nests. My congresswoman has made it a family business. She created a massive government boondoggle under the pretense of flood control and then got her own son hired at $100K a year to oversee it. Diminishing their individual power is something most of them will never go for.
no single governmental tradition is more detrimental to the welfare of the public
The fixed number of house seats, or single member districts?
StriderV
First Name: Patrick

Post by StriderV »

The premise of the site is on the fixed number of house seats. So, I'm pretty sure that's what he's referring to.

I am definitely in support of increasing the number of house seats.

Multi-member districts, sounds intriguing, but I'm not 100% on that.
Epicurus

Post by Epicurus »

StriderV wrote:I am definitely in support of increasing the number of house seats. Multi-member districts, sounds intriguing, but I'm not 100% on that.
I want both, although I will work to get one before the other.

Proportional representation is a foreign concept to Americans, but here's a 6 minute video that explains the FairVote plan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS62N5b5L7Y

To me, it boils down to this. If you are in a 49.9% political minority, or even a 20% political minority, in some geographical area (say, a conservative in a liberal district, or vice versa), should your voice be shut out of the legislative process?

If someone is going to be taxed, I believe he is entitled to have someone who represents his views in the legislature. No taxation without representation!