Have a suggestion for the website? Find a broken link? Please tell us.
Forum rules
This forum is only for the discussion of how the TTO forum, website or blog can be better implemented. Unrelated discussion threads will be moved or deleted.
vicarofrevelwood
First Name: William
Stance: Pro-Enlargement

news service

Post by vicarofrevelwood »

Jeff,
Perhaps you could add news content to the web site. With strict bearing on TTOsubject matter. IE.(Actual artical in Redit)"78% of americans favor a public health option, but the house is still not listining".
Bill
JEQuidam
First Name: Jeff

Re: news service

Post by JEQuidam »

If that would have to be managed manually, there's no way I would have time to do that.

Plus, as in the example you gave, it can distract people from the central objective of TTO by derailing the discussion towards ancillary political or partisan issues. And in particular, I personally don't trust most polls as the questions are usually worded in a far too ambiguous (or misleading) way to enable us to draw definitive conclusions.
Paul
First Name: Paul

Post by Paul »

For a while my phone number must have been on a list of "people who answer the phone and answer questions". I got called at least once a week from some major survey going on for at least a 6 month period, and Jeff is completely correct.

Not only are the surveys rigged, but the people performing the surveys are questionable in their own motives. I have zero trust for those things after that experience.

However, I do want to find a way to show how TTO is a relevant concept. If it is only provided in a sort of trivial or esoteric way, then it will be harder for people to see how it will help them with today's issues.
JEQuidam
First Name: Jeff

Post by JEQuidam »

Paul wrote:However, I do want to find a way to show how TTO is a relevant concept.
I'm open to suggestions. If we do choose a political subject, I would want it to be one that is not so fraught with emotion and partisanship (like health care). The bailouts might be a good example. They started while Bush was still President (as TARP), and continued to expand in other forms afterwards. And despite their unreliability, so many different opinion polls have shown overwhelming public opposition to using taxpayer money to bail out private corporations.

The point is to identify those cases where Congress is doing the bidding of the powerful special interests and disregarding the interests and preferences of the citizenry. The challenge is doing this without it becoming a debate over the subject issue itself.

It may be better to focus on the less known micro examples (such as John Murtha's airport) rather than the better publicized macro examples (such as the $50 billion bailout of GM).
Paul
First Name: Paul

Post by Paul »

I'm probably thinking more along the lines of when we have a blog. Take specific examples, even if they are a hot topic, and demonstrate how congress is not doing what its constituents want and instead serving the special interests. This way we can illustrate how TTO applies directly to today's issues.